We are pleased to announce that the kitchen renovation is complete! Don’t forget to check out some of the pictures below. We are so grateful to all of you who contributed time, resources, and prayers for our kitchen project. We can’t wait to hear the G-O-O-D C-O-O-K-I-N-G cheer next summer, complete with table slapping, clapping, and high-fiving the cooks as they make laps around the tables of happy campers and staff.
With its humble beginnings under a tent in the orchard, the camp kitchen has evolved many times throughout Camp’s history as appliances, space, and equipment was added to its makeup. For the latest rendition, we initially set out to replace our walk-in fridge and update the grill, range, and ovens on our cooking line. The walk-in stopped working and was beyond repair after our 2019 program and the quirky appliances in our cooking line took a unique skillset to find the right temperatures and hot spots to produce our camp famous meals. In addition to these items, we also needed to get the rest of the kitchen up to code, which accelerated some other much needed improvements.
So… what’s new?
- New Range, Grill, and vertical oven/ warmer – Our cooks definitely deserve some new appliances!
- New air exhaust hood – This will help keep the kitchen cooler during those hot summer days.
- New stainless steel single compartment sink – More counter space for prep when compared to the 3-compartment sink.
- New storage bins and stainless steel prep surfaces.
- New vertical refrigerator for drinks.
- New walk-in fridge! – After our last walk-in stopped working at the end of last season after being repaired many, many times.
- New prep sink and counter space – This will be a huge help for our chefs who can prep salads and more right next to the walk-in.
- Space opened up between the fridge and main kitchen area – This will make moving around the kitchen a breeze!
- Food storage/ Freezer area
- New vertical freezer – perfect for being able to see everything that is in the freezer! Cooks will know why this is preferred over a chest freezer!
- New 3-bank stainless steel sink.
- Hot water heater moved to food storage area.
- Floor raised – The floor will now be level between KP area and main kitchen – a dream for our mopping Merlins!
- New floor sink – A great addition for Merlins who are hard at work in the evening to prep the floor for the following day.
- New stainless steel 3 sink compartment.
- Air make-up unit – Will replace the air removed by the new exhaust hood. It can even pre-heat the air for those cold Spring and Fall mornings during our BIOC sessions!
- Hand washing stations – Per code, we had 3 hand washing stations installed around the kitchen and prep areas.
- New flooring for the entire kitchen area including food storage and walk-in area.
Thank you for your interest in Camp’s long term viability and progress. Special thank you to all of our board members from the past two years for their hard work and dedication in completing this project.
You can make donations to the Kitchen Renovation project online or by mail. Camp Bow-Isle is a Canadian Registered Charity #13232-1621 RR0001, and Friends of Camp Bow-Isle is a registered US non-profit. Your donations are tax deductible and a receipt for your donation is available on request.
Online Donations – Canadians
Online Donations – Americans
Donations by Mail
Please be sure to note on your donation “Kitchen Reno”.
Canadian donors: Please make your cheque payable to Camp Bow-Isle and mail to: Camp Bow-Isle, 871 Green Road, Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2
American donors: Please make your check payable to Friends of Camp Bow-Isle, and mail to: Friends of Camp Bow-Isle, c/o Robert Osborne, 14923 SE 183rd Street , Renton, WA 98058.